Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I wanna Paint it Paint it Paint it ........BLACK???

Often when people come to my house or see pictures of my home, they comment on the wall colors. Some love it and ask for the color names/codes, and some say, "well only you can pull it off, I couldn't live with colors on my wall." To the last I say" arrrgh! bull!". But to be honest, if you had asked me 10+ years ago, if I would want colors on my walls, my answer would have been, "maybe in a hallway or bathroom, but not in a larger room."
Everybody changes and your style changes too.
Growing up in Denmark in the 80's, you saw a lot of colors in home exterior, but coming into the 90's it was all about the off-white/white/eggshell/pearl walls… Everything had to be light and bright with antique-white painted or dark mahogany furniture. In my first apartment I sure followed that trend!

1969-benjamin-moore-interior-paint-colors

Now, I couldn't imagine not having colors on my walls. White walls kinda make me sad and a little depressed. I see it like this: decorating a room is like painting a picture. You have the perfect motif done in beatiful shapes and colors, but without a background on your painting, there is so support to your motif and your painting isn't complete - just dull! So imagine your furniture being your motif… your walls are your background! I think it's amazing what wall color can do to your furniture… it just makes it pop!
I'm a believer in that colors makes you happy. You just need to find the right one for you. "Green" isn't just green. I can sit for days (yes, geeky, I know) and look at color swatches, just to make sure it's the right shade of green. And what a joy it is for me to mix my own colors, when i'm working on smaller projects… just that sec when you hit that right shade… Pure happiness in a paint bucket!

sears-vintage-colors156

I love to look in old Home and Garden magazines for color inspiration. Swatches like these are so much fun!

Ohhh, and I have a confession to make. My kicthen and laundry room, I never got around to painting… depressing white walls. Buuut beautiful 40's yellow tiles, kinda make up for it. And if we didnt have plans on moving sometime in the near furture, I would have painted it by now!

2 comments:

  1. MMMmmmmhhh...jeg vil også have farve på væggene! :) men det sker nok ikke her, så jeg prøver at kompensere med farver på puder og malerier ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Du må overtale din dude,du! I det mindste bare i et rum, det må da kunne lade sig gøre!xoxo

    ReplyDelete